Zoo Visiting Policies
- Balloons, radios, cooking fires, fireworks and weapons are prohibited.
- Bicycles, mopeds, motorbikes, scooters, skateboards, skates, wheelie shoes and other wheeled devices are not allowed in the zoo.
- Ball playing, frisbees, kite flying, and tricycles are not allowed.
- Smoking, use of any tobacco product or alcohol is not allowed on zoo grounds. This includes the zoo, parking area and roadway.
- Stay on walk-ways, behind all guardrails, walls, and barriers.
- Please keep your fingers, hands, or any foreign objects out of enclosures.
- Our animals are on specific diets and stress easily. Please do not feed, scream at, clap, annoy, pester, or tease the animals.
- Pets or other animals are not welcome in the zoo. If you bring your pet with you, you will be required to leave the premises. (If you need a reasonable accommodation, please call 808-959-7224)
- Our volunteers and staff work hard to maintain the landscape and keep plants healthy and attractive. Please do not break, remove or damage any plants.
- Smile! Your visit grants permission to be photographed for promotional purposes by the Pana’ewa Zoo.
- Non-commercial photography for personal use is allowed in public areas, but you must stay safely behind any barriers and remain in the public areas at all times.
- Commercial photography and filming requests must go through the Zoo Administrator, Mindy Runnells, or call (808) 959-7224.
What to bring
- What to bring: The zoo is a fun place whether rain or shine. The zoo is in a natural rainforest, so bring rain gear and sunscreen for everyone in your group. Light weight ponchos and umbrellas are available for purchase at the Pana’ewa Zoo Gift Shop.
- The Zoo is fully ADA accessible, and ADA accommodations and opportunities are available. Please see ‘Plan Your Visit’ tab for more information.
- Mobility Scooter Policy: A 48-hour advance reservation is required to ensure a Mobility Scooter is available for your use. Walk-ins may be accommodated if available. Click here for Mobility Scooter Policy for more information.
- Kiddie Carts:Can be rented for $5.00 at the Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo Gift Shop.
- Pavilions: Enjoy a family fun day at the zoo. Besides enjoying all of the animals the zoo also features covered pavilions for picnics and a playground for your keiki. Do you have a special event coming up like a birthday party or other celebration? What better place to enjoy your gathering than at the zoo! For information about renting a pavilion for an event please contact the Hawaii County Department of Parks and Recreation at (808) 961-8311.