Zoo Visiting Policies
- Balloons, radios, cooking fires, fireworks and weapons are prohibited.
- Bicycles, mopeds, motorbikes, scooters, skateboards, skates, wheelie shoes and other wheeled devices are not allowed in the zoo.
- Ball playing, frisbees, kite flying, and tricycles are not allowed.
- Smoking, use of any tobacco product or alcohol is not allowed on zoo grounds. This includes the zoo, parking area and roadway.
- Stay on walk-ways, behind all guardrails, walls, and barriers.
- Please keep your fingers, hands, or any foreign objects out of enclosures.
- Our animals are on specific diets and stress easily. Please do not feed, scream at, clap, annoy, pester, or tease the animals.
- Pets or other animals are not welcome in the zoo. If you bring your pet with you, you will be required to leave the premises. (If you need a reasonable accommodation, please call 808-959-7224)
- Our volunteers and staff work hard to maintain the landscape and keep plants healthy and attractive. Please do not break, remove or damage any plants.
- Smile! Your visit grants permission to be photographed for promotional purposes by the Pana’ewa Zoo.
- Non-commercial photography for personal use is allowed in public areas, but you must stay safely behind any barriers and remain in the public areas at all times.
- Commercial photography and filming requests must go through the Zoo Administrator, Mindy Runnells, or call (808) 959-7224.
What to bring
- What to bring: The zoo is a fun place whether rain or shine. The zoo is in a natural rainforest, so bring rain gear and sunscreen for everyone in your group. Light weight ponchos and umbrellas are available for purchase at the Pana’ewa Zoo Gift Shop.
Service Animal Policy
- Service Animal Policy: Concurrent with ADA regulations the Pana’ewa Rainforest Zoo & Gardens does allow fully trained service animals into the Zoo. At this time we do not allow service animals in training. A patron wishing to enter the Zoo with a service animal must agree to be accompanied by a Zoo staff member or volunteer for the duration of their visit. Click here for Animal Service Policy for more information.
- Mobility Scooter Policy: A 48-hour advance reservation is required to ensure a Mobility Scooter is available for your use. Walk-ins may be accommodated if available. Click here for Mobility Scooter Policy for more information.
- Kiddie Carts:Can be rented for $5.00 at the Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo Gift Shop.
- Pavilions: Enjoy a family fun day at the zoo. Besides enjoying all of the animals the zoo also features covered pavilions for picnics and a playground for your keiki. Do you have a special event coming up like a birthday party or other celebration? What better place to enjoy your gathering than at the zoo! For information about renting a pavilion for an event please contact the Hawaii County Department of Parks and Recreation at (808) 961-8311.