“Pana’ewa Rainforest Zoo Animals”
• Any child in a Hawai’i Island Public School, Grades 1-3.
All work must be created by the student. The entry must be conceptualized, developed, and completed by the student. If a parent or teacher has any doubt about the originality of the piece, it should not be submitted. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
Guidelines for Artwork
- Artwork can be two or three dimensional.
- Original artwork (no computer graphics, photographs) by a single individual only (no collaborative work).
- Drawings should focus on Pana’ewa Zoo Animals in their environment.
- Entries must be submitted flat, do not roll or fold.
- All two dimensional art entries must be mounted: Artwork needs to be ready to be hung. There should be a wire attached to the back of the artwork. Saw tooth hangers do not work on the Wailoa Center displays. Picture frame, wood, chipboard, be creative. We understand that these are young children therefore we enourage teachers and parents to help with the mounting.
- Each student may submit one piece of artwork, in any of the following media:
- Drawing: Colored or graphite pencil, ink, crayon, marker. (No chalk, charcoal, or oil-based crayon)
- Painting: Tempera paint
- 3-D objects must not exceed 2′ x 2′ x 2′.
Images traced with the use of a projector or other mechanical means are prohibited.
Preparing Artwork for Entry
- Students’ artwork should first be submitted to the school teacher or art teacher for pre- judging. Only the resulting selections are submitted for final judging by a panel of local artists chosen by the zoo.
- Each public school may submit a maximum of 3 entries per grade.
The artwork submitted to the Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo Art Contest is grouped and judged in the following Divisions.
Division I: Grade 1 Division II: Grade 2 Division III: Grade 3
There is no entry fee for the Student Art Contest.
Entry Forms must be submitted for every piece of artwork that will be submitted for final judging.
All entrants must accurately complete the contest entry forms and submit with the artwork. For each entry, please submit:
- Two (2) copies of the completed Entry Form
- The first copy of the entry form, along with the signed waiver form for each piece of art submitted should be mailed to:
Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo
Attention: Art Contest
P.O. Box 738
Keaau, HI 96749
- Last day to submit entry form is October 15, 2022.
- Second copy of the Entry Form should be affixed to the back of the artwork.
Submitting the art
The artwork will be collected from 3 different locations by FOZ representatives on December 15th, 2022. The exact location and time TBD.
There will be a first, second and third prize for each division. Prizes will be Friends of the Zoo gift cards, which may be used at the zoo gift shop. They will be in the amount of $75, $50, and $25 respectively.
If you are interested in having the artwork returned, you may come to the Wailoa Center on January 27, 2023 to pick up your child’s artwork between the hours of 9 am – 4 pm. Wailoa Center will not keep any FOZ artwork after that date. If you cannot make that date and would like to have your child’s artwork returned, there will be a couple of days after the art is removed from the Wailoa Center, that you can pick up your child’s artwork at the Pana’ewa Zoo. Dates and times TBD. Please make sure you let us know you wish to have your child’s artwork returned by indicating YES on the entry form.
Questions should be directed to the FOZ representative, Joy Katada, who can be reached at email@example.com